Thursday 16 June 2011

reduce consumption, increase your pension by £1555

Has anybody else been subjected to the downtrodden/sombre/listless customer service department of the big two supermarkets? Whatever happened to the customer being king?? These guys and girls could do with a few lessons in how to win the hearts and minds of customers by being friendly and attentive.  That is my gripe for the day....
Now for the money saving bit....
As the headlines have shown,
consumer spending has slowed on food recently as we all tighten our belts.
This, of course, makes the need to spend less and preserve cash paramount in the daily grind of balancing finances.

Having observed my wife slave over the washing basket each week, I have consciously tried to produce less washing. This has added benefits, such as reduced water and power consumption, reduced wear and tear on the washing machine, longer clothes life and ultimately a saving in monetary terms.
If I reduce the number of pairs of jeans going into the linen basket by 7 pairs, I have calculated that this would save me £7.2 per month on water consumption and electricity costs.If we extrapolate that amount it becomes £7.2 x 12 = £86.4 p.a.
If I calculate that as a saving between now and when i retire then it becomes with an assumed rate of interest on the money of 3% it becomes £2056
Thus I could add to my pension pot a sum of £1555


The way in which I have reduced consumption is by wearing clothes 1~2 more days than normal, in some cases up to a week more. Lets face it, if you are not doing athletic activity then why should your clothes smell if you wear them for a week? Again, I draw back to the suggestion that consumption is the driving force in our society, but I believe the same consumerism forces will re-draw the societal model and we will have a more frugal and sustainable lifestyle.

As a running total now this would mean a figure of £1890.

And on a final note for today, the downturn in sales at the supermarket tills can only be good for us... the big boys will have to reduce their prices to generate more volume. This may mean less money for the supermarket worker or supplier, but hey, we are in a frugal world now..

No comments:

Post a Comment